Bad Weather Information
Generally speaking, District 202 Schools are always open unless hazardous road or other emergency conditions (including utility problems - electricity or natural gas outages) make it too difficult or dangerous to transport students and/or operate buildings safely.
***Please plan accordingly***
When deciding whether to close schools, the Superintendent of Schools, in consultation with police and other public safety officials; district operations and maintenance staff; district transportation staff; and other area school superintendents, considers:
- Road conditions
- Building/facility conditions
- Weather/student safety
- Personal inspections of streets and campuses by District 202 personnel
District 202 will communicate changes to the school schedule, including closings or early dismissal, as early as possible through the district's normal communications channels.
District 202 encompasses 64 square miles and weather, safety and driving conditions change minute to minute.
The Superintendent of Schools will strive to decide whether to close school the day before anticipated bad weather. However, a decision will be made as soon as possible, and no later than 4:30 a.m. in any case.
When schools are to be closed:
- All District 202 families, staff and related community members will be notified through the Connect-ED recorded telephone message system (except those who have asked to be removed from the call list).
- The local, regional and Chicago-based media will be notified between 4:30-5:30 a.m.
- Information will be posted on the District 202 web site (www.psd202.org), all school web sites and on the District 202 Facebook and Twitter pages.
***NOTE: Please do not contact the District Office or school officials until after 7:30 a.m.
WERV-FM 95.9 (95.9 The River)
WBBM-TV (CBS 2)
WMAQ-TV (NBC 5)
WLS-TV (ABC 7)
WGN-TV (Channel 9)
WFLD-TV (Fox 32)
Joliet Herald News/Shaw Media
Patch online news