7:325 Student Fundraising Activities
Student Fundraising Activities
No individual or organization is allowed to ask students to participate in fundraising activities while the students are on school grounds during school hours or during any school activity. Exceptions are:
1. School-sponsored student organizations; and
2. Parent organizations and booster clubs that are recognized pursuant to policy 8:90, Parent Organizations and Booster Clubs.
The Superintendent or designee shall manage student fundraising activities in alignment with the following directives:
1. Fundraising efforts shall not conflict with instructional activities or programs.
2. For any school that participates in the School Breakfast Program or the National School Lunch Program, fundraising activities involving the sale of food and beverage items to students during the school day while on the school campus must comply with the Ill. State Board of Education rules concerning the sale of competitive food and beverage items.
3. Participation in fundraising efforts must be voluntary.
4. Student safety must be paramount.
5. For school-sponsored student organizations, a school staff member must supervise the fundraising activities and the student activity funds treasurer must safeguard the financial accounts.
6. The fundraising efforts must be to support the organization’s purposes and/or activities, the general welfare, a charitable cause, or the educational experiences of students generally.
7. The funds shall be used to the maximum extent possible for the designated purpose.
8. Any fundraising efforts that solicit donor messages for incorporation into school property (e.g., tiles or bricks) or placement upon school property e.g., posters or placards must:
a. Develop viewpoint neutral guidelines for the creation of messages;
b. Inform potential donors that all messages are subject to review and approval, and that messages that do not meet the established guidelines must be resubmitted or the donation will be returned; and
c. Place a disclaimer on all fundraising information and near the completed donor messages that all messages are “solely the expression of the individual donors and not an endorsement by the District of any message’s content.”
LEGAL REF.: 105 ILCS 5/10-20.19(3).
23 Ill.Admin.Code Part 305, School Food Service.
CROSS REF.: 4:90 (Student Activity and Fiduciary Funds), 4:120 (Food Services), 8:80 (Gifts to the District), 8:90 (Parent Organizations and Booster Clubs)
ADOPTED: November 22, 2004
UPDATED: December 14, 2015
February 18, 2021